Founded in 1914, Johnson & Wales University is a private, nonprofit, accredited institution with approximately 16,000 graduate, undergraduate and online students at its four campuses in Providence, R.I.; North Miami, Fla.; Denver, Colo.; and Charlotte, N.C. An innovative educational leader, the university offers degree programs in arts and sciences, business, culinary arts, education, nutrition, hospitality, physician assistant studies, engineering and design. Its unique model integrates arts and sciences and industry-focused education with work experience and leadership opportunities, inspiring students to achieve professional success and lifelong personal growth. The university’s impact is global, with alumni from 119 countries pursuing careers worldwide.
The political science faculty member will be responsible for preparing and delivering relevant and current curriculum using a variety of teaching methods and standardized tools that accurately reflect effectiveness of course content. The successful incumbent will support the new undergraduate program in political science launching in the fall of 2016.
Courses to be taught may include introductory and upper-level courses in political science, U.S. politics and policy, as well as other courses in the liberal arts. Desired subfields include political communications, political campaigning, the electoral process, and/or a professional background in politics.
Essential Job Functions:
· Measures student understanding of course content in an objective fashion
· Maintains accurate records of student attendance, academic achievement, and performance in accordance with university policies and procedures
· Distributes to each student, in each course, a university approved syllabus that includes course objectives, texts, attendance policy and materials required for course and evaluation criteria
· Posts and maintains regular office hours for student consultation per guidelines set forth in the faculty manual
· Refers students to appropriate university resources for information, financial assistance, career development, or other guidance
· Communicates early with any student in danger of failure or in need of individual counseling
· Participates in the university’s faculty advising program
· Attends scheduled faculty meetings, department meetings, faculty orientation, training programs, and committee meetings of which they are members
· Participates in student orientation, admissions events, open houses, Family Weekend, competitions, professional conferences, and other events as required
· Supports extracurricular activities by attendance and/or service as an advisor
· Performs other duties as assigned
· Minimum of a PhD in political science or a closely related field of study from a regionally accredited institution
· Experience with teaching at the post-secondary level
· Teaching/Research focus in U.S. politics and policy
· Demonstrated commitment to or experience in innovative curriculum delivery, experiential education and integrative learning
Johnson & Wales University recognizes that, along with its students, the most important resources the university has are its “human resources” — its faculty and staff. If you would like to share in our commitment to support the personal and professional success of the university’s dynamic and diverse workforce, we invite you to learn more about this exciting opportunity and to apply online* at http://work.jwu.edu to requisition #3465. Questions regarding this position may be addressed to email@example.com.
For optimal consideration please submit the following application materials by January 22, 2016: cover letter, current CV, transcripts (unofficial copies acceptable), statement of teaching philosophy, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and contact information for three references.
Johnson & Wales University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
*Note: JWU accepts online applications for currently open and available positions solely via http://work.jwu.edu. Applications and résumés that are faxed, mailed, or emailed to our offices cannot be accepted as applications for employment; however, supplemental materials such as transcripts and evidence of teaching effectiveness may be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.