Based in one of the UK’s leading centres for the study of history, you will make an important contribution to the development of a dynamic research culture, building on the expertise of a strong group in American history. Making use of your own outstanding knowledge and the University’s important library and archival holdings in the field, you will carry out and publish excellent and original research. Passionate about the history of America, you will share your enthusiasm through exceptional teaching. Crucially, you will take a leading role in developing the department and its reputation – from securing external research funding, to developing interdisciplinary centres and participating in management roles. At Durham, you will benefit from a strong commitment to intra- and inter-disciplinary research, and from the resources of a host of specialist Research Institutes and Centres. You will also enjoy the advantages of a mentoring scheme to develop you as a historian, teacher and leader in the discipline and beyond.
- A good first-degree, complemented by a PhD in US History or a related subject.
- The ability to produce world-class research, including a research plan which supports the activities of the department.
- Proof that you have led national or international research groups and networks, mentoring early career researchers and making an internationally recognised contribution to the development of research fields.
- A track record of contributing significantly to the development of PhD programmes and the supervision of PhD students.
- The ability to develop and lead successful research project or fellowship proposals, with the scope to secure funding or generate income.
- Experience of delivering high-quality and distinctive teaching across lectures and in smaller study groups, with HEA (or equivalent) status.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, with the willingness to work collaboratively as part of a team.
Closing Date: 12 January 2018 at 12pm midday
Grade 10 Competitive salary based on our professorial Pay Scales (starting at £61,179 and going considerably higher based on experience)